Friday, December 20, 2013

Snowman Playdough Gift

With the last day of school before the holiday break approaching, I was trying to think of an inexpensive gift for my daughter and son to give to the friends in their daycare and around the neighborhood. My kids love playdough, so I decided to create a Playdough Snowman kit.


I started by designing a tag on Photoshop and included some simple instructions. I didn't include instructions for the accessories...I think the kids can figure it out or be creative. If you would like a copy of this tag (minus my kids' names of course), comment below and I will send it to you.



Next we made Playdough in two colors.  First, snow-like Playdough with glitter.  Second, green for the kids to make the snowman's hat, buttons, nose, and whatever else they want to make.  You can do any color for this.  We were originally planning to do black, but didn't have black food coloring on hand.  We put these in a sandwich size zip-lock bag.  We used a recipe we found on Jennwa.blogspot.comhttp://jennwa.blogspot.com/2009/01/snowman-playdough.html:

2 cup flour
1 cup salt 
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups water
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
Iridescent white glitter

Mix all ingredients except glitter in a pan. Heat over low heat, stir constantly until dough thickens and pulls away from pan (It will look like thick mashed potatoes). Remove from pan. Knead until smooth, add glitter, till dough sparkles like snow. I added glitter 1 teaspoon at a time.



The snowman's accessories we put in a snack size zip-lock.  The accessories we included were two googly eyes, 2 brown pipe cleaners for arms, and a red felt scarf with fringed edges.  We didn't include anything specifically for the nose which may have been a cute addition.


Then we stapled them together with the tag, and they are ready to gift.  This is a fun and easy gift.


5 comments:

Carol said...

What a great idea! I would love to make some of these for my granddaughter and her sisters. Can you please send me the tag?

Christy McAnlis said...

I would love a copy of the tag! I am constantly in awe of all your creative ideas! Love looking at your emails!

Miss Jelke said...

I love this and would love to make it for my kindergarten class. Can you send me the tag? Thanks!

InviteandDelight said...

Sure. Just send me your email!

Unknown said...

Hi I would love this tag, what a great idea