Friday, December 22, 2017

HO HO HOme Depot Party - Part II


If you've read Part I of the HO HO Home Depot party with all menu and all the decor details of this party, I am sure you anxious to see how the actual craft project was made! It was just too long to fit in one post, so here it is...


Party Activity:  If you are having a Home Depot party, you have to have a fun project for guests.  I wanted to pick something that would be easy to make in one evening and still allow us to have time to chat/have dinner. This project was perfect!  The employees at my local Home Depot were amazing at helping me get what I needed.  To make this project, you will need:
  • Two pieces of 1'x4' wood
  • 1 1/4" Screws
  • Wood glue
  • Paint - Jim, from Home Depot recommended Satin finish
  • Paintbrushes
  • Table saw/Drill

Step 1: Saw the wood.  You can make this project whatever size you want, but I gave each guest 2 pieces of wood with instructions to cut five 36" pieces, one 30" piece for the brim, and one *** piece for the bracing on the back.


Step 2:  Assemble the project with wood glue.  You could skip this step, but I think it helps hold the pieces in place before drilling.  If your wood has writing on it (which most will), have your guests make sure the writing is on the back side of the project so you don't have to worry about it showing. We glued the bracing piece to the bottom/back of the project as shown here.


Step 3:  Drill the bracing piece into the back making sure the screws don't go all the way through to the front of the project.  Drill the hat brim on as well.  I instructed guests to do both of these from the back so the screws wouldn't show on the front.


Step 4:  Paint your project!  Most of the girls did one thick coat of paint, but you could do a second if you have time in your party.  The guests painted the base, and then we had dinner while that dried.  Then we came out to paint the face.


If you have kids at your party, give them popsicle sticks and have them create the same project minus the sawing and drilling!  My oldest daughter loves to craft and always wants to be a part of my dinners somehow, so this was perfect.


The girls and I had a ton of fun making these, and I think they will be a fun holiday decoration for years to come!

Thank you again to the employees at Home Depot for helping to make this craft night possible!

No comments: